Southern Queens Park Association Beacon Preventive Program has been in existence for more then twenty-two years. The services that are directly provided to all families are to promote and support positive parent-child interaction. The goals of beacon preventive are to:
- Strengthen family relationships
- Identify and develop parents’ strengths that support nurturing
- Interact and encourage the use of community resources
- Support families while working closely to strengthen and empower themselves to be self-sufficient.
- Assess and provide community based referrals and link families to needed resources
- Work collaboratively with parents, children, schools and the communities as they gear toward family stabilization.
2. Roy Wilkins Family Center:
Afterschool at Roy Wilkins Family Center has been in existence since the 1980’s. I have been working with the afterschool program at Roy Wilkins Family Center since 2009. The afterschool program opens operates from 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm. We serve 120 elementary students and 50 middle school students ranging from age 5 to 14.
Our program offers many opportunities for growth. Some activities are Homework help, STEM, Physical Education & Supports [Flag football, volleyball, soccer, basketball], Literacy [entrepreneurship, poetry, spoken word], Dance, arts & Crafts.